Our Town St Helena is looking for an accountant – either a part-time employee or contractor (10 hours/week) reporting to the Executive Director.
Our Town St. Helena (OTSH) is seeking a part-time accountant with advanced experience with QuickBooks, preferably in the nonprofit setting. OTSH is a 501c(3) nonprofit corporation, whose mission is to address the lack of affordable housing in our rural community. OTSH creates housing by acquiring properties; financing, building, maintaining and preserving low- and moderate-priced homes; connecting people who have housing opportunities to those with housing needs in creative and mutually beneficial ways; and educating our neighbors about the importance of maintaining a diverse and vital community.
Qualifications: A professional and experienced bookkeeper with the following knowledge and abilities:
- Advanced accounting principles and proficiency in QuickBooks, both desktop and online versions;
- Additional proficiency in office procedures, Microsoft Office programs, Word and Excel, and database management;
- Payroll procedures and regulatory requirements;
- Familiarity and experience with nonprofit organizations, grant revenue and expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Familiarity with residential property management is a plus.
Work generally consists of accounting for costs of materials, supplies and payroll associated with the organization. In addition, some administrative duties include producing reports of activities for the Board of Directors, calendaring and recording of various permits and licenses, assistance with property management, and similar duties.
Examples of typical tasks include:
- Receive all remittances, properly code, record and deposit in appropriate bank accounts, acknowledge receipts of donations.
- Receive all bills, route for appropriate approvals, code and prepare for payment in a timely manner.
- Print checks for authorized signatures, then mail.
- Perform annual 1099 reporting process for vendors.
- Manage time tracking process for employees and contractors with hours billable to grants for financial and grant reporting.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports for Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Prepare any supplementary reports as requested.
- Prepare payroll, checks and reports, submit required deposits with State and IRS.
- Assist with property management of OTSH-owned properties (currently 2 homes) which mainly consists of rent collection and retaining and paying vendors for repairs and maintenance as necessary.
- Prepare all necessary items required for annual audit by CPA firm and coordinate audit.
- Keep the corporate calendar with all regulatory filing updated regularly.
- Ensure all insurance policies are current.
- Maintain required corporate filings including Corporate Minute Book.
- Maintain accounting procedures and policies and systems of internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial systems.
- Retrieve mail from PO box and distribute.
As a small organization operating in a dynamic environment, a significant amount of flexibility and teamwork is required.
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please forward your resume with a cover letter, including your hourly rate and three current references, to: email@example.com
If you have any questions, please call me at (707) 812-9839 or send me an e-mail at the address above.
Jennifer La Liberte
Our Town St. Helena